Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ithaca Children's Garden


Over the recent holiday weekend, I had the opportunity to visit the Ithaca Children’s Garden in Ithaca, New York.



 It is a sweet little place at the southwest end of Cayuga Lake. On the property of a city park, this small jewel has some lovely features.






entrance to vegetable garden



It includes standard elements such as a vegetable garden and natural sections such as a meadow and a swale. There is a large earth sculpture called Gaia the Turtle which children can climb on and plant in the sectioned beds. 




Gaia

a scute
her tail


fennel plant

There are several small structures which invite tea parties and other forms of imaginative play. I especially liked the house with the green roof. 

green-roofed cottage
Mission Statement of the Ithaca Children’s Garden
The mission of the Ithaca Children’s Garden is to create a unique and joyful garden environment designed to inspire, empower, and connect children and youth with the importance of plants and the natural world.

 I would happily go back day after day to monitor the milkweed for monarch caterpillars! I was there early in the morning on July 4th so I had the place all to myself. I found myself wishing I could travel back in time and bring my sons as young boys to explore and play with me! 


written by Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment